A larger lot accommodated an earlier house which was demolished prior to 1904 when this residence and the one to its right were built. The first tenant was W. D. Griffith, a fire insurance agent. Gabriel Ludlow, superintendent of the Virginia Carolina Chemical Company also lived here. Notice the paired columns, bay window and fine latticework detailing in the pediment.
423 Orange Street is stop 96 on the Lights on Macon tour.