This brick structure was built to house the engines that pumped water from the nearby springs in Washington Park to a 90-foot tall water tower that was located in a park on Orange Street near the head of High Street. The new system allowed the houses on College Hill to receive city water for which residents were charged $20.00 per year. Three cisterns located behind the engine house, which had been constructed prior to 1880, held 150,000 gallons of water. The springs in the park supplied water for both downtown and the residences on the hill. This structure is now a private residence.
1066 Magnolia Street is stop 84 on the Lights on Macon tour.