This is one of several Greek Revival cottages that are important to the character of Magnolia Street. Many of the houses were originally owned by Macon’s early downtown entrepreneurs who worked in wholesale groceries, drugstores and dry goods stores. This cottage, owned in 1872 by George Wright, a haberdasher, who worked for a wholesale grocer, remained in his family until c. 1947. It still retains its simple symmetrical plan with Greek Revival doorway and decorative Victorian details on the front porch.
972 Magnolia Street is stop 74 on the Lights on Macon tour.